Amanda Perez
ETEC 424.02W
February 13, 2017
Teacher Resources
Incorporating
a classroom response system, more commonly referred to as “clickers”, is a
great way to promote student engagement in the classroom. In my classroom, I
believe clickers could be used to measure my students’ ability to recall
information about the required reading. For example, if we were studying Pride
and Prejudice, I could ask, “Which character moved to Netherfield Park?” and
list four different characters, allowing students to select the one they think
is correct. Questions like these would allow me to assess what my students are
comprehending and what they are having trouble with. Clickers could also be used
to assess what literary concepts or terms my students best comprehend. By using
clickers, every single student in the classroom is participating and also allows
them to answer anonymously, meaning students who are typically shy will be more
willing to engage in the classroom activities.
Teaching
with tablets is another great way to incorporate technology in the classroom.
Tablets provide teachers with several different tools that can help with time management
and are more accessible than a desktop, or even a laptop, since they are
extremely portable. I would download an app that would help me keep track of
grades and attendance. I could also use an app that would allow me to memorize
the names of my students more quickly. Voice recording and note taking apps can
be handy if inspiration suddenly strikes for a classroom activity. There are
even apps that would allow me to project information from my desktop onto a
screen at the front of the classroom. And, of course, as an ELA teacher, the
kindle app is especially appealing because it allows me to access eBooks and
share them with my students.
Finally,
I believe that online projects and collaboration tools are beneficial to
students, specifically in the form of a blog. Using a blog allows students post
all their information in one place. For example, for an essay assignment,
students could post their outline on their blog, which would allow other
students to provide them with constructive feedback. This method is
particularly useful for students who may have difficulties speaking up in a
group setting. A blog also allows students to share any information they find
online (provided they cite their source!) in regards to the required reading.
Furthermore, it gives students a creative outlet. Provided I had the required
resources, such as access to a computer lab, I would allow the students to work
on the blog in class, perhaps twice a month, since there may be students who do
not have access to a computer at home.
Overall,
I believe these chosen technologies will help foster cooperative learning in my
classroom, as well as creative an engaging classroom. I hope to accomplish a successful integration of technology by using only materials that will be beneficial to the students and teach them in the best way possible. Blogs and clickers
encourage student participation, while apps on a tablet allow me to monitor
student progression. Checking up on student blogs, creating material for the
classroom response system, and being able to access grades and texts on a
tablet will also keep me accountable as a teacher.
Sources:
Bruff, Derek. “Classroom Response
Systems (‘Clickers’).” Center for Teaching.
Vanderbilt University. n.d. cft.vanderbilt.edu//cft/guides-sub-pages/clickers/#teaching.
Accessed 13 Feb. 2017
Clark, Chris. “20 Types of Tablet
Tools for Teaching.” NspireD2. University of Notre
Dame. 10 June 2011. ltlatnd.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/20-tablet-tools-for-teaching/.
Accessed 13 Feb. 2017
“Lessons from a First-Time Blogger.” Cacophony: Communication Across the
Cirriculum. Bernard L. Schwartz Communication Institute. 12 June 2009. cac.ophony.org/2009/06/12/lessons-from-a-first-time-course-blogger/.
Accessed 13 Feb. 2017
I really like the idea with the tablets and also the point with the blog. the tablet is smart because you could use so many fun apps and also like you said kindle. the blog is also pretty cool because it allows you to do what I'm doing right now. Great blog post !
ReplyDeleteAmanda,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy using the clickers, and the tablets as well. I think it is a great way to get students engaged in learning and participating. In my assignment I did not consider the collaboration option which is a great way as well to have students express themselves. I think the idea of a blog is a good way to have participation, creativity, and to have students express themselves. Good job I enjoyed reading your thoughts.
I enjoyed reading this post because when I thought of a clicker I was thinking it was the thing that teachers used to click onto the next slide of a powerpoint without having to stay at the computer! I think that the clickers you are describing would be an excellent tool for any classroom as well as tablets. I am all about teachers that get creative in their classroom to make learning more fun and I believe you will be awesome at doing so! I really am looking forward to doing more research on clickers now.
ReplyDelete